A guiding spirit behind The Club, Philip Pavia (1911-2005) edited the group's de facto magazine, It is, and organized many of the panel discussions that helped define the New York School in the 1950s. For many years, Pavia lived and worked seasonally on Squaw Road in East Hampton.
This selection of drawings and stone sculptures, lent by the artist's estate, focuses on the 1960s, when he began working in marble. Treating blocks of stone as collage elements, he assembled units of various colors and textures to create so-called scatter sculptures. One of the major examples, Lily Pond, from 1965-66, will be installed on the museum grounds. Pavia's drawings, while related to works like Lily Pond, are not studies for specific sculptures. He described them as "thought-forms" that helped him visualize ideas for three-dimensional structures. Some are quick sketches, while others are more fully realized artworks in their own right. An illustrated catalog, with essays by painter Natalie Edgar Pavia, the artist's widow, and art historian Phyllis Braff, will accompany the exhibition.