While a few Long Island museums have closed for the season, there's still plenty of art to see. Museum exhibition highlights include the Parrish's "Artists Choose Artists" exhibition and the three photography exhibitions opening at the Nassau County Museum of Art. Don't miss the three exhibitions on view at Guild Hall, including a show of works by the artist couple Connie Fox and William King. Read on for the full list of exhibitions on view in Long Island art museums through November.


“DAN FLAVIN: ICONS” continues through April 30, 2017. The five wall-mounted “icons” on view in the exhibition bridge the mediums of painting and sculpture. The box-like constructions with painted surfaces and attached light fixtures were created between 1961 and 1964.

ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.

Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.


"CONNIE FOX & WILLIAM KING: AN ARTIST COUPLE"  continues through December 31, 2016.The married couple Connie Fox and William King (1925 - 2015) shared a life based in East Hampton. The show is curated by Gail Levin and presented in the Moran Gallery. The exhibition highlights their shared sensibilities and influences, especially humor, music, political activism, and modern art. 


"Petit Danseur de 72 Ans" by William King, 1996 (2010). Wood, 40 x 9 x 9 1/2 inches. From the collection of Connie Fox. Photo by Jenny Gorman.

"Petit Danseur de 72 Ans" by William King, 1996 (2010). Wood, 40 x 9 x 9 1/2 inches. From the collection of Connie Fox. Photo by Jenny Gorman.


"MICHAEL KNIGIN: THE HOLOCAUST AND ANNE FRANK" continues through December 31, 2016. The show is Guest Curated by Joan Kraisky. In 1974 the Israel Museum and the Jerusalem Foundation invited noted artist Michael Knigin to Israel to establish the first professional lithographic and silk screen atelier in Israel. As work progressed, Knigin began meeting survivors of the Holocaust and began interpreting their stories through sketches that became montages. Knigin was then granted full access to the museum's Holocaust archives, the contents of which further laid the foundations for his work. This process, along with visits to Anne Frank's attic in Amsterdam, led him to the creation of over 150 Holocaust works.

"WILLIAM S. HEPPENHEIMER" continues through December 31, 2016. William S. Heppenheimer's kaleidoscopic works play with our notions of abstraction and representation. His process involves pouring acrylic painting into ice trays and swirling it, creating a marbleized effect. The dried paint is then cut and arranged into geometric forms. Heppenheimer was the Top Honors recipient of the Guild Hall Museum 76th Annual Artist Members Exhibition in 2014, an award selected by Robert Storr, Dean of the Yale School of Art.

RELATED: "New Shows Open at The Parrish and Guild Hall this October" published October 18, 2016.

Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.guildhall.org.


“LONG ISLAND BIENNIAL” continues through December 4, 2016. The juried exhibition features work by visual artists from Nassau and Suffolk counties. The show comprises 53 works, selected from 336 entries by jurors Lori Bookstein, Seung Lee and Christina Mossaides Strassfield.

“LOOKING OUT, LOOKING IN: WINDOWS IN ART” continues through November 27, 2016. Drawn from the Museum’s Permanent Collection, the exhibition explores windows in paintings and photographs of the 19th and 20th centuries.

The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743.www.heckscher.org.


“OVER THE RIVER: TRANSFORMING LONG ISLAND” continues through December 16, 2016. The exhibition explores the transformation of Long Island over the decades brought about by the construction of bridges, tunnels and roadways that provide routes to New York City. The show features works from the collection as well as works on loan.

"POLITICAL SLANT II: EDITORIAL CARTOONS" continues through March 12, 2017. This exhibition features works by caricaturist and cartoonist Thomas Nast for historical context along with works by award-winning editorial cartoonists Matt Davies, Walt Handelsman, Mike Keefe, Steve Kelley, and Signe Wilkinson that offer commentary on our current national election process, candidates, and key issues.

The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.

The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South Campus.www.hofstra.edu.


"THE NEW CLASSICS OF CONTEMPORARY GLASS" continues through December 23, 2016. The exhibition is curated By Rachel Rader & Ben Wright of Urban Glass. Artists on view working with glass include Megan Biddle, Christopher Duffy, John Drury, Beccy Feather Elias Hansen, Eve Andree Laramee, Nate Ricciuto, Esther Ruiz.

"FROM THE YARD: AN INDEPENDENT RESIDENCY - NEW WORKS BY NICOLE MARANDOLA" continues through December 23, 2016. The exhibition is curated by Beth Giacummo.

The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730. www.islipartmuseum.org.


LongHouse Reserve features 12 new sculptures to its outdoor collection. Also on view is the design exhibition "Master Works" featuring a mix of furnishings and "art-in-craft media." Click here to discover the new sculpture on view. LongHouse Reserve is open Saturdays only through November 26, 2016.

LongHouse Reserve is located at 133 Hands Creek Rd, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.longhouse.org.


“LONG ISLAND IN THE SIXTIES” continues through December 31, 2016. This exhibition explores how Long Island was transformed in the 1960s as New York City residents sought home ownership and greener pastures, and as the country as a whole questioned the meaning of a “traditional” American lifestyle.

The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit www.longislandmuseum.org.


“FEAST FOR THE EYES” continues through November 6, 2016. The two-floor exhibition curated by Franklin Hill Perrell showcases art inspired by food and dining. Works on view portray food, eateries, restaurants, cafés, groceries, and table settings in a variety of mediums and styles.

“BEN SCHONZEIT: ABSTRACT FIGURATION” continues through November 6, 2016. The solo exhibition features Ben Schonzeit’s collage and sculptural work, including abstract figurations of human forms. Schonzeit is known for his prominent role in the American Photorealism movement.

"SIGHT AND FEELING: PHOTOGRAPHS BY ANSEL ADAMS" opens November 19, 2016 and continues through March 5, 2017. This exhibition of Ansel Adams' photographs from the KIA collection suggests how his intuitive and emotional response to the landscape resulted in powerful and enduring photographs.

"LIGHT WORKS: A CENTURY OF PHOTOGRAPHY" opens November 19, 2016 and continues through March 5, 2017. This exhibition is a survey of photography processes and subjects from 1873 to 2000. Photographers on view include Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Curtis, Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange, Diane Arbus, Richard Avedon, Walker Evans, Henri Cartier-Bresson and many others.

"LONG ISLAND COLLECTS: PHOTOGRAPHY" opens November 19, 2016 and continues through March 5, 2017. The show seeks to focus on significant photographic works created from the 1960s through the present day. This survey of photographic works from private collectors reflects the cultural and social factors prominent to their era.

The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576. www.nassaumuseum.org.


"ARTISTS CHOOSE ARTISTS" continues through January 16, 2017. Artists Choose Artists is the Museum’s juried exhibition open to artists working in all media and living on the East End of Long Island. Seven distinguished artists serve as jurors, each selecting two artists for the exhibition, which also includes the work of the jurors. This year's jurors include Tina Barney, Lynda Benglis, Donald Lipski, Tony Oursler, Jorge Pardo, Cindy Sherman and Leo Villareal.


"2/14/15" by Bill Komoski, 2015. Fabric, cardboard and acrylic paint on canvas, 94 x 74 inches. Photo: Polite Photographic. Courtesy of the Parrish Art Museum.

"2/14/15" by Bill Komoski, 2015. Fabric, cardboard and acrylic paint on canvas, 94 x 74 inches. Photo: Polite Photographic. Courtesy of the Parrish Art Museum.


RELATED: 'Artists Choose Artists' Opens at The Parrish Art Museum" published October 30, 2016.

The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.parrishart.org.


“SOUTHAMPTON UNDER SIEGE: THE BRITISH OCCUPATION OF SOUTHAMPTON DURING THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR” continues through December 31, 2016. The exhibition makes use of a timeline, maps, period rooms, artifacts, video, and a catalog to bring attention to the men, women, and children who lived in an isolated and occupied village from 1776 until the end of the revolutionary war.

The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center’s main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org.


"HISTORIC REFLECTIONS OF THE TEN TOWNS" continues through the end of the year. In celebration of the 130th anniversary of the Society (1886 – 2016), this exhibition will illustrate Suffolk County’s ten towns in the decade of the society's founding.

“FULLERTON’S LONG ISLAND: THE LURE OF THE LAND” continues through December 23, 2016. The exhibition features over 70 large-sized historic photographs from the museum’s Hal B. Fullerton Collection. Curated by Neil Scholl and Peter Dicke.

PERMANENT EXHIBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th – 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.

The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901.www.suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.


BASIC FACTS: Museum Look, a round-up of art exhibitions at museums on Long Island, is published monthly at HamptonsArtHub.com. For a list of museums exhibiting art on Long Island, New York City and South Florida, visit our Museum Guide by clicking here.


Copyright 2016 Hamptons Art Hub LLC. All rights reserved.

Don't miss a story!

We are on Social Networks

Comments are closed.