Theres plenty of art to see in Long Island Museums through October. Highlights include three exhibitions opening at Guild Hall on October 22; a show featuring artists working with glass at the Islip Art Museum; and this year's "Artists Choose Artists" exhibition opening at the end of the month at the Parrish Art Museum. Read on for the full list of exhibitions on view in Long Island art museums this month.


“THE CURIOSITIES OF HARRY SQUIRES” remains on view through October 2016. The show presents the eccentric collections of Harry Squires, a Bridgehampton character who preserved bits of local wildlife, memorabilia of shipwrecks, Native American artifacts and more.

"MEET THE CORWITHS: LIVES AND LEGACIES" continues through October 2016 in the Corwith House. The exhibition explores the contributions that one branch of the Corwith Family made to Bridgehampton from colonial days to the mid 20th century. Documents, photographs and more will be on view.

The Bridgehampton Museum Archives Building is located at 2539-A Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY 11932.


“DAN FLAVIN: ICONS” continues through April 30, 2017. The five wall-mounted “icons” on view in the exhibition bridge the mediums of painting and sculpture. The box-like constructions with painted surfaces and attached light fixtures were created between 1961 and 1964.

ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.

Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit


"LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE: A JAZZ AGE FABLE OF SARA AND GERALD MURPHY" continues through October 30, 2016 at the Clinton Academy Museum. The show follows a well-known couple from when they first met in East Hampton. The 1920's couple influences many artistic works of the period and their friends included F. Scott Fitzgerald, Igor Stravinsky, Gertrude Stein, Cole Porter, Pablo Picasso, Francis Picabia, Archibald MacLeish, Man Ray, Fernand Leger, Ernest Hemingway, John Dos Passos, Sergei Diaghilev and Jean Cocteau.

Curator Tour: Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 10 a.m.

The East Hampton Historical Society's Clinton Academy Museum is located at 151 Main St, East Hampton, NY 11937.


"CONNIE FOX & WILLIAM KING: AN ARTIST COUPLE" opens on October 22 and continues through December 31, 2016. The show is Guest curated by Gail Levin.

"MICHAEL KNIGIN: THE HOLOCAUST AND ANNE FRANK" opens on October 22 and continues through December 31, 2016. The show is Guest Curated by Joan Kraisky. In 1974 the Israel Museum and the Jerusalem Foundation invited noted artist Michael Knigin to Israel to establish the first professional lithographic and silk screen atelier in Israel. As work progressed, Knigin began meeting survivors of the Holocaust and began interpreting their stories through sketches that became montages. Knigin was then granted full access to the museum's Holocaust archives, the contents of which further laid the foundations for his work. This process, along with visits to Anne Frank's attic in Amsterdam, led him to the creation of over 150 Holocaust works.

"WILLIAM S. HEPPENHEIMER" opens on October 22 and continues through December 31, 2016. William S. Heppenheimer's kaleidoscopic works play with our notions of abstraction and representation. His process involves pouring acrylic painting into ice trays and swirling it, creating a marbleized effect. The dried paint is then cut and arranged into geometric forms. Heppenheimer was the Top Honors recipient of the Guild Hall Museum 76th Annual Artist Members Exhibition in 2014, an award selected by Robert Storr, Dean of the Yale School of Art.

Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937.


"The Intellectual" by William S. Heppenheimer, 2015. 5-1/4 x 15-1/2 x 1 inches. Photo by Gary Mamay.

"The Intellectual" by William S. Heppenheimer, 2015. 5-1/4 x 15-1/2 x 1 inches. Photo by Gary Mamay.



“LONG ISLAND BIENNIAL” continues through December 4, 2016. The juried exhibition features work by visual artists from Nassau and Suffolk counties. The show comprises 53 works, selected from 336 entries by jurors Lori Bookstein, Seung Lee and Christina Mossaides Strassfield.

“LOOKING OUT, LOOKING IN: WINDOWS IN ART” continues through November 27, 2016. Drawn from the Museum’s Permanent Collection, the exhibition explores windows in paintings and photographs of the 19th and 20th centuries.

The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY


“OVER THE RIVER: TRANSFORMING LONG ISLAND” continues through December 16, 2016. The exhibition explores the transformation of Long Island over the decades brought about by the construction of bridges, tunnels and roadways that provide routes to New York City. The show features works from the collection as well as works on loan.

"POLITICAL SLANT II: EDITORIAL CARTOONS" remains on view through March 12, 2017. This exhibition features works by caricaturist and cartoonist Thomas Nast for historical context along with works by award-winning editorial cartoonists Matt Davies, Walt Handelsman, Mike Keefe, Steve Kelley, and Signe Wilkinson that offer commentary on our current national election process, candidates, and key issues.

The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.

The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South


"THE NEW CLASSICS OF CONTEMPORARY GLASS" remains on view through December 23, 2016. The exhibition is curated By Rachel Rader & Ben Wright of Urban Glass. Artists on view working with glass include Megan Biddle, Christopher Duffy, John Drury, Beccy Feather Elias Hansen, Eve Andree Laramee, Nate Ricciuto, Esther Ruiz.

A Reception and special event IAM Up Late for Bowie-ween takes place on October 29, 2016 from 8 to 11 pm. 

"FROM THE YARD: AN INDEPENDENT RESIDENCY - NEW WORKS BY NICOLE MARANDOLA" remains on view through December 23, 2016. The exhibition is curated by Beth Giacummo.

The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730.


LongHouse Reserve features 12 new sculptures to its outdoor collection. Also on view is the design exhibition "Master Works" featuring a mix of furnishings and "art-in-craft media." Click here to discover the new sculpture on view. LongHouse Reserve is open Saturdays only through November 26, 2016.

LongHouse Reserve is located at 133 Hands Creek Rd, East Hampton, NY 11937.


“LONG ISLAND IN THE SIXTIES” continues through December 31, 2016. This exhibition explores how Long Island was transformed in the 1960s as New York City residents sought home ownership and greener pastures, and as the country as a whole questioned the meaning of a “traditional” American lifestyle.

The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit


“FEAST FOR THE EYES” continues through November 6, 2016. The two-floor exhibition curated by Franklin Hill Perrell showcases art inspired by food and dining. Works on view portray food, eateries, restaurants, cafés, groceries, and table settings in a variety of mediums and styles.

“BEN SCHONZEIT: ABSTRACT FIGURATION” continues through November 6, 2016. The solo exhibition features Ben Schonzeit’s collage and sculptural work, including abstract figurations of human forms. Schonzeit is known for his prominent role in the American Photorealism movement.

The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576.


“UNFINISHED BUSINESS: PAINTINGS FROM THE 1970s AND 1980s BY ROSS BLECKNER, ERIC FISCHL AND DAVID SALLE” continues through October 16, 2016. The exhibition features the work of three artists who met in Los Angeles in the 1970s and moved to New York in the 1980s where they established careers as influential painters at a time when painting was thought to have passed it’s prime. Through 23 large canvases and 17 works on paper, the exhibition explores how each painter discovered painting’s possibilities as a medium as well as suggesting the deep connections between each artists’ formal visual vocabulary.

"PLATFORM: JONAH BOKAER" continues through October 16, 2016. Jonah Bokaer is known for his works that merge visual art, film, choreography and research. The project on view will feature a two-channel projection a new choreographic work shot within the Parrish Art Museum. Also on view are 122 choreographic drawings based on the musical score of Morton Feldman and Samuel Beckett's 1977 opera Neither.

"ARTISTS CHOOSE ARTISTS" opens on October 30, 2016 and continues through January 16, 2017. Artists Choose Artists is the Museum’s juried exhibition open to artists working in all media and living on the East End of Long Island. Seven distinguished artists serve as jurors, each selecting two artists for the exhibition, which also includes the work of the jurors. This year's jurors include Tina Barney, Lynda Benglis, Donald Lipski, Tony Oursler, Jorge Pardo, Cindy Sherman and Leo Villareal.

The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976.


“INNOVATION AND ABSTRACTION: WOMEN ARTISTS AND ATELIER 17” continues through October 29, 2016. In 1940, Stanley William Hayter transferred Atelier 17, his innovative printmaking workshop, from Paris to New York. For the next 15 years, the workshop led an experimental revival of fine-art graphics. Many modern artists including European refugees during World War II and Americans like PollockMotherwellde Kooning and Kline, made prints there. Among them were more than 90 women artists, including Louise NevelsonAnne RyanLouise Bourgeois and Alice Trumbull Mason. This exhibition features experimental graphics by those artists, as well as works by Minna CitronWorden DayDorothy Dehner and Sue Fuller.

The Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, East Hampton, NY 11937.


“FIFTY SMALL THINGS” continues through October 31, 2016. The show is comprised of 50 objects that are small in size, but full of history. Chosen from the museum’s holdings by Collections Manager Richard Doctorow, they cover a timespan from 1700 to 1945.

“TAKE A CLOSER LOOK” continues through October 31, 2016. “Take a Closer Look Accompanies “Fifty Small Things.” Local artist and Instagram enthusiast Bob Weinstein puts these 50 small things in context by focusing his lens on details of historic houses and places in Sag Harbor that make history of the village.

The Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum is located at 200 Main Street, Sag Harbor, NY 11963.


“SOUTHAMPTON UNDER SIEGE: THE BRITISH OCCUPATION OF SOUTHAMPTON DURING THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR” continues through December 31, 2016. The exhibition makes use of a timeline, maps, period rooms, artifacts, video, and a catalog to bring attention to the men, women, and children who lived in an isolated and occupied village from 1776 until the end of the revolutionary war.

“BEACH LIGHT: PAINTINGS BY EILEEN DAWN SKRETCH” continues through October 22, 2016. The exhibition features seaside paintings of the flat, open spaces of the East End by artist Eileen Dawn Skretch.

The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center’s main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968.


"HISTORIC REFLECTIONS OF THE TEN TOWNS" continues through the end of the year. In celebration of the 130th anniversary of the Society (1886 – 2016), this exhibition will illustrate Suffolk County’s ten towns in the decade of the society's founding.

“FULLERTON’S LONG ISLAND: THE LURE OF THE LAND” continues through December 23, 2016. The exhibition features over 70 large-sized historic photographs from the museum’s Hal B. Fullerton Collection. Curated by Neil Scholl and Peter Dicke.

PERMANENT EXHBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th – 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.

The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY


BASIC FACTS: Museum Look, a round-up of art exhibitions at museums on Long Island, is published monthly at For a list of museums exhibiting art on Long Island, New York City and South Florida, visit our Museum Guide by clicking here.


Copyright 2016 Hamptons Art Hub LLC. All rights reserved.

Don't miss a story!

We are on Social Networks

Comments are closed.

error: Content is protected !!