Hamptons museums are in full swing on both forks adding more art-viewing opportunities on the East End. Portrait and Historical exhibitions have arrived in abundance. Read on to reveal all the options for July in Long Island museums.
BRIDGEHAMPTON MUSEUM - BRIDGEHAMPTON, NY
“BRIDGEHAMPTON PAST AND PRESENT” continues through September 18. The exhibition features Plein Air Peconic paintings of Bridgehampton and Sagaponack settings. Participating artists include Casey Chalem Anderson, Susan D'Alessio, Aubrey Grainger, Anita Kusick, Keith Mantell, Michele Margin, Gordon Matheson, Joanne Rosko, Tom Steele, and Kathryn Szoka.
The Bridgehampton Museum Archives Building is located at 2539-A Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. www.bridgehamptonhistoricalsociety.org.
DAN FLAVIN ART INSTITUTE – BRIDGEHAMPTON, NY
“DAN FLAVIN: ICONS” continues through April 30, 2017. The five wall-mounted “icons” on view bridge the mediums of painting and sculpture. The box-like constructions with painted surfaces and attached light fixtures were created between 1961 and 1964.
ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.
Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.
EAST HAMPTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY – EAST HAMPTON, NY
The East Hampton Historical Society museum is made up of six buildings located in East Hampton Town, several which present temporary exhibitions in season. Open year-round is the Osborn-Jackson House, ca. 1720, which features furnishings of a well-to-do post-Colonial East End family. Information on upcoming exhibitions will be announced as it arrives.
Osborn-Jackson House is located at 101 Main Street, East Hampton, N.Y. 11937. The five other museum buildings are closed until April or May 2015. www.easthamptonhistory.org.
GUILD HALL MUSEUM – EAST HAMPTON, NY
“SELFIES & PORTRAITS OF THE EAST END” continues through July 26. The exhibition features East End Artists Linda Alpern, Ross Bleckner, Jack Ceglic, Fischer Cherry, Ann Chwatsky, Chuck Close, Ahn Duong, Eric Fischl, Cornelia Foss, John Hardy, Soren Hope, William King, Jill Krementz, Laurie Lambrecht, Christa Maiwald, Jonathan Morse, Elizabeth Peyton, Bastienne Schmidt, Lola Montes Schnabel, Julian Schnabel, Joan Semmel, Cindy Sherman, Billy Sullivan, Susan Tepper, Robert Wilson, Darius Yektai and others, including selections from the permanent collection. The show is dedicated to the memory of Tom Twomey.
“HAL BUCKNER” continues through October 12 in the Roy and Frieda Furman Sculpture Garden and Wasserstein Family Gallery. On view are sculptured silhouettes of the female form cut from a single light-weight aluminum sheet.
“NICOLE BIGAR: MUSES PAST AND PRESENT” continues through July 26 in the Education Hall Gallery.
Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.guildhall.org.
HECKSCHER MUSEUM OF ART – HUNTINGTON, NY
“BEFORE SELFIES: PORTRAITURE THROUGH THE AGES” continues through August 9. The exhibition presents portraiture from the 16th century to the present day from the museum’s Permanent Collection.
“POISED POSES: PORTRAITS FROM THE AUGUST HECKSHER COLLECTION” continues though August 2. The exhibition features works from the Museum's core collection, donated by August Heckscher in 1920, installed to evoke the ambience of a well-to-do residence in the late 19th or early 20th century.
The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743. www.heckscher.org.
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY MUSEUM – HEMPSTEAD, NY
"ENDURING IMAGES" continues through January 31, 2016 in the Filderman Gallery. The exhibition focuses on the lasting record created by an artist's visual responses to critical moments in history. Examples include imagery reflecting the impact of World War I and II, civil rights, the African American diaspora, and other international conflicts. Works in a variety of media will be on view, including photography, sculpture, painting, and works on paper.
“PORTFOLIOS I: THE 1970s” continues through August 14, 2015 in the Lowe Gallery. This is the first in a planned series of exhibitions highlighting distinctive artist portfolios of prints and photographs in the Museum’s permanent collections; each exhibit will showcase portfolios in their entirety. Each portfolio represents selected images that the artist intends to be viewed as a group, with clear connections between the selected works.
The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.
The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South Campus. www.hofstra.edu.
ISLIP ART MUSEUM – EAST ISLIP, NY
"IAM POCKET SIZED" continues through September 13. Artists were asked to submit miniature works (8 x 8 inches max). The exhibition is curated by Rhonda Cooper.
“STEPPING STONES” continues through September 13 in the Museum Store. The exhibition will feature a site-specific installation by Ida-Christel Siebke. The work features hand poured, casted glass bricks with found key inclusions. The exhibition is curated by Beth Giacummo.
The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730. www.islipartmuseum.org.
LONG ISLAND MUSEUM – STONY BROOK, NY
“ANSEL ADAMS: EARLY WORKS” continues through August 2. Exhibited are 41 small-scale photographic prints taken early in Adams’ career.
“AMERICAN HORIZONS, EAST TO WEST: LANDSCAPE PAINTING AND PHOTOGRAPHY” continues through August 2. The exhibition focuses on the landscape tradition in American art. Works are drawn from the museum’s permanent collection as well as from private and museum loans.
The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit www.longislandmuseum.org.
NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART – ROSLYN HARBOR, NY
“THE SALTZMAN FAMILY COLLECTION” opens on July 25 and continues through November 8. The exhibition celebrates the Museum’s 25th anniversary through a showing of works held by one of the region’s most prominent families of art collectors.
“POSTERS OF THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION 1917-1921” opens on July 25 and continues through November 8. The exhibition includes graphic posters communicating the ideals of Communism to the Russian peasantry of 1917-1921. The revolutionary posters were gifted to the Museum by the Arnold A. Saltzman Family Foundation.
The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576. www.nassaumuseum.org.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
“PLATFORM: TARA DONOVAN” opens on July 4 and continues through October 12. Donovan will present a free standing sculpture, a wall relief and a monoprint created with Slinky® toys.
"CHUCK CLOSE PHOTOGRAPHS" continues through July 26. The exhibition explores how Chuck Close has stretched the boundaries of photographic means, methods, and approaches. The show features some 90 images spanning 1964 to the present, ranging from straightforward black and white portraits to large scale composite Polaroids to intimately scaled daguerreotypes.
Exhibitions from the museum's permanent collection opened on November 8, 2014 and continue through November 6, 2015: "Art. Illuminated"; "Land, Sea, Air"; "Ghost Gems"; Esteban Vicente and Collage"; "Painting Horizons"; "Drawings by Sculptors"; "Still Life in the Studio"; "Material World"; "William Merritt Chase: The Shinnecock Years" and "Face Value”.
The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.parrishart.org.
POLLOCK-KRASNER HOUSE & STUDY CENTER – EAST HAMPTON, NY
“NEIL NOLAND: SCULPTURE OF THE 1980s” continues through August 1. This memorial exhibition of clay wall pieces and steel sculpture celebrates the career of Neil Noland (1927-2013). A selection of ceramic plaques created in the 1980s as well as welded steel pieces and a 1986 Corten steel sculpture recently on view at LongHouse Reserve are on view.
The Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse.
SOUTHAMPTON HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER – SOUTHAMPTON, NY
“INTO THE DEEP: PAINTINGS BY PATON MILLER” continues through October 11.
“VIEWS OF SOUTHAMPTON: PAINTINGS BY PAT GARRITY” continues through October 11.
“IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK: HISTORY OF THE ROGERS MANSION” continues through December 31. The exhibition highlights the families that lived in the mansion along with the role the Mansion played in the Southampton community.
The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center’s main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org.
SOUTHOLD HISTORICAL SOCIETY – SOUTHOLD, NY
“THEN AND NOW: PAINTINGS OF SOUTHOLD” opens on July 11 and continues through October 11 in the Ann Currie-Bell House. The exhibit is being held in honor of the 375th Anniversary of Southold Town and features historic paintings of the North Fork juxtaposed with contemporary works that depict similar or identical scenes.
The Reichert Family Center and Cosden Price Gallery is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY 11971. The Ann Currie-Bell House is located at 55200 Main Road, Southold, NY 11971. www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY – RIVERHEAD, NY
“FROM SHORE TO SHORE: BOATBUILDERS AND BOATYARDS OF LONG ISLAND” continues though September 19. The exhibition features nineteenth and twentieth century boatbuilders from Long Island and Westchester. A collection of maritime photographs by Hal B. Fullerton will also be on view.
“MARITIME PAINTING EXHIBITION” continues through September 19 in the newly restored Noel J. Gish Sr. Gallery. The exhibition is curated by the J. Russell Jinishian Gallery, Inc.
PERMANENT EXHBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th – 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.
The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901. www.suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.
WATER MILL MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
“SUMMER WATERS” opens on July 15 and continues through August 10. A Reception takes place on July 18 from 5 to 7 p.m. The exhibition features work by the East End Photographers Group.
The Water Mill Museum is located at 41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.watermillmuseum.org.
BASIC FACTS: Museum Look, a round up of art exhibitions at museums on Long Island, is published monthly at HamptonsArtHub.com.
Copyright 2015 Hamptons Art Hub LLC. All rights reserved.