Museums on the East End begin to wake in May. Opening for the season this month is the Pollock-Krasner House, Water Mill Museum and new art shows at history museums in Bridgehampton, Southampton and Southold. New art exhibitions also open at Guild Hall and The Parrish this month. Keep scrolling to discover what's on view at the museums across Long Island and the East End.
BRIDGEHAMPTON MUSEUM - BRIDGEHAMPTON, NY
"THE WEDNESDAY GROUP - A NEW SEASON" opens May 12 and continues through June 5. A Reception will be held on May 16 from 5 to 8 p.m. The show includes plein air paintings done at Nature Conservancy sites along with other locations on the East End.
The Bridgehampton Museum Archives Building is located at 2539-A Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. www.bridgehamptonhistoricalsociety.org.
DAN FLAVIN ART INSTITUTE – BRIDGEHAMPTON, NY
“A FRIENDSHIP: CARL ANDRE’S WORKS ON PAPER FROM THE LEWITT COLLECTION”continues through June 7. A selection of Andre’s poems, collages, and works on paper that commemorate his longtime friendship and productive dialogue with Sol LeWitt are on view.
ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.
Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.
EAST HAMPTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY – EAST HAMPTON, NY
The East Hampton Historical Society museum is made up of six buildings located in East Hampton Town, several which present temporary exhibitions in season. Open year-round is the Osborn-Jackson House, ca. 1720, which features furnishings of a well-to-do post-Colonial East End family. Information on upcoming exhibitions will be announced as it arrives.
Osborn-Jackson House is located at 101 Main Street, East Hampton, N.Y. 11937. The five other museum buildings are closed until April or May 2015. www.easthamptonhistory.org.
GUILD HALL MUSEUM – EAST HAMPTON, NY
"77TH ANNUAL ARTIST MEMBERS EXHIBITION" opens May 2 and remains on view through June 6. The 77th Guild Hall Artists Members Exhibition is the oldest non-juried museum exhibition on Long Island. This year's Awards Juror is Marla Prather, a Curator in the Department of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This year's Top Honors winner is Pamela B Topham.
Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.guildhall.org.
HECKSCHER MUSEUM OF ART – HUNTINGTON, NY
“BEFORE SELFIES: PORTRAITURE THROUGH THE AGES” continues through August 9. The exhibition presents portraiture from the 16th century to the present day from the museum’s Permanent Collection.
“POISED POSES: PORTRAITS FROM THE AUGUST HECKSHER COLLECTION” continues though August 2. The exhibition features works from the Museum's core collection, donated by August Heckscher in 1920, installed to evoke the ambience of a well-to-do residence in the late 19th or early 20th century.
The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743. www.heckscher.org.
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY MUSEUM – HEMPSTEAD, NY
“FROM PORTRAITS TO TWEETS: IMAGERY, TECHNOLOGY AND THE U.S. PRESIDENCY” continues through May 8 at the Emily Lowe Gallery. The exhibition traces public response to the U.S. presidency through the use of visual imagery. Works on view include paintings, photographs, moving images, electronic media and more.
"ENDURING IMAGES" opens May 4 and continues through January 31, 2016. A Reception takes place on May 15 at 3 p.m. The exhibition focuses on the lasting record created by an artist's visual responses to critical moments in history. Examples include imagery reflecting the impact of World War I and II, civil rights, the African American diaspora, and other international conflicts. Works in a variety of media will be on view, including photography, sculpture, painting, and works on paper.
The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549. The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South Campus. www.hofstra.edu.
ISLIP ART MUSEUM – EAST ISLIP, NY
“PRINT UP LADIES” continues through June 1. A Reception takes place on May 3. The show is a survey of contemporary works created by female artists exploring traditional and non-traditional printmaking techniques. The exhibition is curated by Beth Giacummo. Participating artists include Lee Bontecou, Cecily Brown, Amy Cutler, Helen Frankenthaler, Orly Genger, Sheila Goloborotko, Dora Lisa Rosenbaum, Nicole Marandola, Jessica McAvoy, Elizabeth Murray, Lisa Petker-Mintz, Minna Resnick, Swoon, Lisa Yuskavage.
“INKED: PORTRAITS & POLAROIDS IN KILN GLASS BY KATHY SEFF” continues through June 1 in the Museum’s gift shop. A Reception takes place on May 3.
The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730. www.islipartmuseum.org.
LONG ISLAND MUSEUM – STONY BROOK, NY
“ANSEL ADAMS: EARLY WORKS” continues through August 2. Exhibited are 41 small-scale photographic prints taken early in Adams’ career.
“AMERICAN HORIZONS, EAST TO WEST: LANDSCAPE PAINTING AND PHOTOGRAPHY”continues through August 2. The exhibition focuses on the landscape tradition in American art. Works are drawn from the museum’s permanent collection as well as from private and museum loans.
The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit www.longislandmuseum.org.
NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART – ROSLYN HARBOR, NY
“OUT OF THE VAULT: 25 YEARS OF COLLECTING” continues through July 12. The exhibition presents artwork and objects from the permanent collection presented by theme including past and present portraiture, great traditions in small paintings, post-war sculpture, the eccentric object and vintage posters of the 1930's and 40's. Highlights include works by naturalist John James Audubon, photographer Larry Fink and Pop artists Marisol Escobar, Robert Indiana and Larry Rivers.
“VERNACULAR VISIONS” continues through July 12 in the Contemporary Collectors Gallery. The exhibition features the work of four Long Island artists: Susan Cushing, Richard Gachot, Francisco Villagran and Burt Young.
The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576. www.nassaumuseum.org.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
"CHUCK CLOSE PHOTOGRAPHS" opens on May 10 and continues through July 26. An Opening Reception will be held on May 10 at 11 a.m. The exhibition explores how Chuck Close has stretched the boundaries of photographic means, methods, and approaches. The show features some 90 images spanning 1964 to the present, ranging from straightforward black and white portraits to large scale composite Polaroids to intimately scaled daguerreotypes.
Exhibitions from the museum's permanent collection opened on November 8, 2014 and continue through November 6, 2015: "Art. Illuminated"; "Land, Sea, Air"; "Ghost Gems"; Esteban Vicente and Collage"; "Painting Horizons"; "Drawings by Sculptors"; "Still Life in the Studio"; "Material World"; "William Merritt Chase: The Shinnecock Years" and "Face Value".
The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.parrishart.org.
POLLOCK-KRASNER HOUSE & STUDY CENTER – EAST HAMPTON, NY
“NEIL NOLAND: SCULPTURE OF THE 1980s” continues through August 1. This memorial exhibition of clay wall pieces and steel sculpture celebrates the career of Neil Noland (1927-2013). A selection of ceramic plaques created in the 1980s as well as welded steel pieces and a 1986 Corten steel sculpture recently on view at LongHouse Reserve are on view.
The Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse.
SOUTHAMPTON HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER – SOUTHAMPTON, NY
“INTO THE DEEP: PAINTINGS BY PATON MILLER” opens on May 16 and continues through October 11. An Opening Reception takes place on May 15 from 4 to 6 p.m.
“VIEWS OF SOUTHAMPTON: PAINTINGS BY PAT GARRITY” opens on May 16 and continues through October 11. An Opening Reception takes place on May 15 from 4 to 6 p.m.
“IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK: HISTORY OF THE ROGERS MANSION” continues through December 31. The exhibition will highlight the families that lived in the mansion along with the role the Mansion played in the Southampton community.
The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center’s main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org.
SOUTHOLD HISTORICAL SOCIETY – SOUTHOLD, NY
“THE NATURAL BEAUTY OF PLUM ISLAND: SEA, SEALS, SUNSETS AND MORE” opens May 9 and continues through May 30. The exhibition features photographs and paintings by Bob Lorenz and John Sargent of Plum Island, NY.
The Reichert Family Center and Cosden Price Gallery is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY. www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY – RIVERHEAD, NY
“FROM SHORE TO SHORE: BOATBUILDERS AND BOATYARDS OF LONG ISLAND” continues though September 19. The exhibition features nineteenth and twentieth century boatbuilders from Long Island and Westchester. A collection of maritime photographs by Hal B. Fullerton will also be on view.
“MARITIME PAINTING EXHIBITION” continues through September 19 in the newly restored Noel J. Gish Sr. Gallery. The exhibition is curated by the J. Russell Jinishian Gallery, Inc.
PERMANENT EXHBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th – 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.
The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901. www.suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.
WATER MILL MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
"23rd ANNUAL WATER MILL MUSEUM MEMBERS' ART EXHIBIT" opens May 21 and continues through June 15. A Reception and Season Opening will take place on May 30 from 5 to 7 p.m.
The Water Mill Museum is located at 41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.watermillmuseum.org.
BASIC FACTS: Museum Look is published monthly at HamptonsArtHub.com.
Copyright 2015 Hamptons Art Hub LLC. All rights reserved.