Portraits, spiders, student art and Niagara Falls are just some of the art to be found in Long Island Museum this month. New in April is a print show at Islip Art Museum revealing the range of printing techniques used by female artists. In Riverhead, the Suffolk County Historical Museum reopens a gallery from long ago and presents a show of historic seascapes. Following is the full list of what's on view this month in museums on Long Island.
DAN FLAVIN ART INSTITUTE – BRIDGEHAMPTON, NY
“A FRIENDSHIP: CARL ANDRE’S WORKS ON PAPER FROM THE LEWITT COLLECTION”continues through June 7. A selection of Andre’s poems, collages, and works on paper that commemorate his longtime friendship and productive dialogue with Sol LeWitt are on view.
ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.
Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.
EAST HAMPTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY – EAST HAMPTON, NY
The East Hampton Historical Society museum is made up of six buildings located in East Hampton Town, several which present temporary exhibitions in season. Open year-round is the Osborn-Jackson House, ca. 1720, which features furnishings of a well-to-do post-Colonial East End family. Information on upcoming exhibitions will be announced as it arrives.
Osborn-Jackson House is located at 101 Main Street, East Hampton, N.Y. 11937. The five other museum buildings are closed until April or May 2015. www.easthamptonhistory.org.
GUILD HALL MUSEUM – EAST HAMPTON, NY
“STUDENT ARTS FESTIVAL PART II, GRADES 9 - 12” continues through April 12. The Student Arts Festival celebrates young artists from Bridgehampton to Montauk with over 3,500 student works on view.
Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.guildhall.org.
HECKSCHER MUSEUM OF ART – HUNTINGTON, NY
“LONG ISLAND’S BEST: YOUNG ARTISTS” continues through April 19. Artwork by students in grades 9 through 12 across Nassau and Suffolk counties will be on view.
“FERDINAND RICHARDT’S NIAGARA: A STUDY IN LANDSCAPE PAINTING” continues through April 12, 2015. The exhibition examines Ferdinand Richardt’s Niagara in the context of landscape tradition. On view will be European and American works from the Museum’s Permanent Collection.
The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743. www.heckscher.org.
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY MUSEUM – HEMPSTEAD, NY
“FROM PORTRAITS TO TWEETS: IMAGERY, TECHNOLOGY AND THE U.S. PRESIDENCY”continues through May 8 at the Emily Lowe Gallery. The exhibition traces public response to the U.S. presidency through the use of visual imagery. Works on view include paintings, photographs, moving images, electronic media and more.
The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549. The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South Campus. www.hofstra.edu.
ISLIP ART MUSEUM – EAST ISLIP, NY
“PRINT UP LADIES” opens on April 19 and continues through June 1. A Reception takes place on May 3. The show is a survey of contemporary works created by female artists exploring traditional and non-traditional printmaking techniques. The exhibition is curated by Beth Giacummo. Participating artists include Lee Bontecou, Cecily Brown, Amy Cutler, Helen Frankenthaler, Orly Genger, Sheila Goloborotko, Dora Lisa Rosenbaum, Nicole Marandola, Jessica McAvoy, Elizabeth Murray, Lisa Petker-Mintz, Minna Resnick, Swoon, Lisa Yuskavage.
“INKED: PORTRAITS & POLAROIDS IN KILN GLASS BY KATHY SEFF” opens on April 19 and continues through June 1 in the Museum’s gift shop. A Reception takes place on May 3.
The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730. www.islipartmuseum.org.
LONG ISLAND MUSEUM – STONY BROOK, NY
“ANSEL ADAMS: EARLY WORKS” continues through August 2. Exhibited are 41 small-scale photographic prints taken early in Adams’ career.
“AMERICAN HORIZONS, EAST TO WEST: LANDSCAPE PAINTING AND PHOTOGRAPHY”continues through August 2. The exhibition focuses on the landscape tradition in American art. Works are drawn from the museum’s permanent collection as well as from private and museum loans.
"COLORS OF LONG ISLAND: LANDSCAPE PAINTING AND PHOTOGRAPHY" student art show continues through April 26. Presents works made by students from Kindergarten to 12th grade.
The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit www.longislandmuseum.org.
NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART – ROSLYN HARBOR, NY
“OUT OF THE VAULT: 25 YEARS OF COLLECTING” continues through July 12. The exhibition presents artwork and objects from the permanent collection presented by theme including past and present portraiture, great traditions in small paintings, post-war sculpture, the eccentric object and vintage posters of the 1930's and 40's. Highlights include works by naturalist John James Audubon, photographer Larry Fink and Pop artists Marisol Escobar, Robert Indiana and Larry Rivers.
“VERNACULAR VISIONS” continues through July 12 in the Contemporary Collectors Gallery. The exhibition features the work of four Long Island artists: Susan Cushing, Richard Gachot, Francisco Villagran and Burt Young.
The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576. www.nassaumuseum.org.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
“PARRISH PERSECTIVES: JOE ZUCKER: LIFE & TIMES OF AN ORB WEAVER” continues through April 26. Studies, drawings and prints demonstrating Zucker’s working process will be on view.
“PARRISH PERSPECTIVES: JULES FEIFFER: KILL MY MOTHER” continues through April 26. More than 140 large scale ink and watercolor drawings created for Feiffer’s first graphic novel, “Kill My Mother,” will be on view.
“PARRISH PERSPECTIVES: ROBERT DASH: THEME AND VARIATIONS” continues through April 26. In a series of ten paintings and 10 works on paper, Dash has created a single image of Sagaponack’s Main Street to create a nuanced exploration of color and light.
RELATED: "ART REVIEW: Sagg Main in Dramatic Verve by Robert Dash" by Janet Goleas.
Exhibitions from the museum's permanent collection opened on November 8, 2014 and continue through November 6, 2015: "Art. Illuminated"; "Land, Sea, Air"; "Ghost Gems"; Esteban Vicente and Collage"; "Painting Horizons"; "Drawings by Sculptors"; "Still Life in the Studio"; "Material World"; "William Merritt Chase: The Shinnecock Years" and "Face Value".
The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.parrishart.org.
POLLOCK-KRASNER HOUSE & STUDY CENTER – EAST HAMPTON, NY
Closed for the Season. Reopens May 2015. The Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse.
SOUTHAMPTON HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER – SOUTHAMPTON, NY
“IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK: HISTORY OF THE ROGERS MANSION” continues through December 31. The exhibition will highlight the families that lived in the mansion along with the role the Mansion played in the Southampton community.
The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center’s main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org.
SOUTHOLD HISTORICAL SOCIETY – SOUTHOLD, NY
“HOBBLING THROUGH SOUTHOLD” continues through May 2. The exhibition examines the changing streetscape of Main Road in Southold during the 19th century. The exhibition will include panels with descriptions from newspaper articles, as well as map locations and period photographs of buildings.
The Reichert Family Center and Cosden Price Gallery is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY. www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY – RIVERHEAD, NY
“MARITIME PAINTING EXHIBITION” opens on April 16 in the newly restored Noel J. Gish Sr. Gallery. The exhibition is curated by the J. Russell Jinishian Gallery, Inc. An Opening and Dedication of the gallery takes place on April 16 from 6 to 8 p.m. Admission is $20 for Members, $30 for Non-Members, $50 for Friends and $100 for Patrons. RSVP and prepayment required by April 9.
“FROM SHORE TO SHORE: BOATBUILDERS AND BOATYARDS OF LONG ISLAND” opens on April 18 and continues though September 19. An Opening Reception will be held on April 18 at 5 p.m. The exhibition features nineteenth and twentieth century boatbuilders from Long Island and Westchester.
PERMANENT EXHBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th – 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.
The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901. www.suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.
WATER MILL MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
The museum is closed for the season. It will reopen on May 22, 2015. The museum is located at 41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.watermillmuseum.org.
BASIC FACTS: Museum Look is published monthly at HamptonsArtHub.com.
Copyright 2015 Hamptons Art Hub LLC. All rights reserved.