Museums on the East End unveil a slate of strong exhibitions for the Fall Season. Guild Hall opens a group show of new works added to their collection and a solo show of photography by Mary Ellen Bartley. The Parrish opens simultaneous solo shows by Alan Shields and the team of Steven and William Ladd. The East Hampton Historical Society opens its first contemporary art show and the Suffolk County Historical Society goes Poe for October. Following is the full list of exhibitions on view at museums across Long Island.
DAN FLAVIN ART INSTITUTE
“A FRIENDSHIP: CARL ANDRE’S WORKS ON PAPER FROM THE LEWITT COLLECTION” continues through March 2, 2015. The exhibition is presented in two consecutive exhibitions. The first section, on view through Oct. 18, presents Andre’s correspondences with LeWitt and rare works on paper. The second section will be on view from Oct. 24, 2014 through March 2, 2015, and will focus on Andre’s poetry.
ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.
Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.
“CLAUS HOIE’S GREENGROCER SERIES: BOUNTIFUL HARVEST” continues through Oct. 16. Works on view include watercolors with fruit and vegetable themes. The Bridgehampton Museum is located at 2368 Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY. The Archives building is located at 2539-A Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY. www.bridgehamptonhistoricalsociety.org.
EAST HAMPTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
"CLOSE-UP: ICONIC FILM IMAGES FROM SUSAN WOOD" opens Oct. 5 and remains on view through Oct. 26 at the Mulford Farm Museum. The exhibition, part of the Hamptons International Film Festival Program, is a collection of iconic 1960s film images from movies such as Easy Rider and Modesty Blaise.
The Mulford Farm Museum is located at 10 James Lane, East Hampton Village, NY 11937. Free but donations appreciated. www.easthamptonhistory.org.
“JUNE 13, 1942: SABOTEURS LAND IN AMAGANSETT” continues through Oct. 13 at The Clinton Academy. A Special Curator’s Tour will be held on Oct. 11 at 10 a.m. The exhibition presents photographs, documents, uniforms and artifacts of a foiled attempted by four German saboteurs to launch a two-year plan to disrupt the production of supplied intended for the Allies in Europe by blowing up plants, canals, bridges, waterways and locks across the United States. ( A second team was dispatched to the coast of Florida). The Amagansett-based plot was foiled by a U.S. Coast Guard Seaman John Cullen, who encountered the men.
The Clinton Academy is located at 151 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. Free but donations appreciated.www.easthamptonhistory.org.
GUILD HALL MUSEUM
“ROBERT MOTHERWELL: THE EAST HAMPTON YEARS, 1944-1952″ continues through Oct. 13 in all three of the museum’s main galleries. The exhibition presents lesser-known works that were made in Motherwell’s early career and while he lived in East Hampton, NY. Works include oil paintings, mixed media and works on paper.
RELATED: “ART REVIEW: At Guild Hall, Motherwell’s Process of Evolution Revealed” by Gabrielle Selz. “Robert Motherwell: The East Hampton Years” Opens at Guild Hall“.
“ARLENE SLAVIN: INTERSECTIONS” continues through Oct. 13 at Guild Hall’s Roy and Frieda Furman Sculpture Garden and Wasserstein Family Gallery. Slavin’s translucent garden sculptures are installed outside with herIntersections painting series exhibited inside the museum.
"MARY ELLEN BARTLEY: LEANING ABOVE THE PAGE" opens Oct. 25 and remains on view through Jan. 4, 2015. An Opening Reception will be held on Oct. 25 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Mary Ellen Bartley, the winner of the 74th Annual Guild Hall Artist Members Exhibition (2012), is known for her photographs of books.
"NEW ADDITIONS TO THE GUILD HALL MUSEUM PERMANENT COLLECTION 2010-2014" opens Oct. 25 and remains on view through Jan. 4, 2015. An Opening Reception will be held on Oct. 25 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The exhibition will focus on artworks that have entered the collection from 2010-2014.
Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.guildhall.org.
POLLOCK-KRASNER HOUSE & STUDY CENTER
“POLLOCK’S CHAMPIONS” continues on view through Oct. 31. Curated by Bobbi Coller, PhD, the exhibition examines the roles of Pollock’s three lifetime dealers: Peggy Guggenheim (1943-47), Betty Parsons (1948-51) and Sidney Janis (1952-56), in the establishment of his reputation and the promotion and marketing of his work. Primarily documentary in nature, the exhibition presents photographs, correspondence, contracts, price lists, reproductions of sold key paintings plus original works on paper and graphics by Pollock. The museum is open by appointment only Thursday to Saturday.
The Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse.
SOUTHAMPTON HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER
"PEOPLE AND OTHER FOUR-LEGGED FRIENDS, PAINTINGS BY DINAH MAXWELL SMITH" opens on Oct. 4 with a reception from 3 to 5 p.m. The show remains on view through Dec. 31. The exhibition presents contemporary impressionistic paintings of people and animals found on the East End throughout history.
“SOUTHAMPTON BLUE BOOK, 1930 to 1960: PHOTOGRAPHS BY BERT MORGAN” continues through Oct. 18 at the Rogers Mansion on the main campus.
“HAIL TO THE BEACH: PAINTINGS BY DINAH MAXWELL SMITH” continues through Oct. 18. The exhibition includes contemporary impressionist paintings of Beach scenes on Long Island.
RELATED: “Dinah Maxwell Smith: An Artist Combing the Shores of Time” by Annette Hinkle.
“DECONSTRUCTING THE SAYRE BARN: PHOTOGRAPHS BY ULF SKOGSBERGH” continues through Oct. 18. Exhibited in the newly reconstructed Sayre Barn, the show presents high-detailed and oversized photographs of the barn’s deconstruction that reveal the tools and construction methods from another time.
The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center’s main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM
“WILLIAM GLACKENS” continues through Oct. 13. The show features over 75 artworks on paper or canvas spanning from the 1890s through 1930s. It is the first comprehensive survey of Glacken’s work since 1966. Curated by writer and art historian Avis Berman, the exhibition focuses on Glackens’s most distinctive and adventurous works. The show is part of a traveling exhibition that started in Florida and continues to Philadelphia.
RELATED: “Glackens Survey Arrives at the Parrish” and “ART REVIEW: Adventures of an Artist-Reporter: Time to Revisit William Glackens” by Elisa Turner.
"PLATFORM: MAYA LIN" remains on view through Oct. 13. Lin will show ecologically inspired works that incorporate architecture and environmental science.
RELATED: "ART REVIEW: Maya Lin Explores Environment at the Parrish" by Janet Goleas.
"PARRISH ROAD SHOW: MICHAEL COMBS" was extended through Oct. 13 at Hallockville Museum Farm. The Hallockville Museum Farm is located at 6038 Sound Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901.
"PARRISH ROAD SHOW: EVAN DESMOND YEE" was extended through Oct. 13 at Geekhampton, 34 Bay Street, Sag Harbor, NY 11963.
"STEVEN AND WILLIAM LADD: MARY QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE" opens Oct. 26 and remains on view through Jan. 19, 2014. An Opening Reception will be held on Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m. The exhibition features sculpture, drawings, and prints by the collaborative team Steven and William Ladd.
"ALAN SHIELDS: IN MOTION" opens Oct. 26 and remains on view through Jan. 19, 2014. An Opening Reception will be held on Nov. 1 at 5:30 p.m. The exhibition features sculpture, installations, and video documentation focusing on movement.
COLLECTION GALLERIES at The Parrish: Seven permanent collection gallery exhibitions continue through Oct. 26. Exhibitions on view are “Look and Look Again: Contemporary Observation,” “Changing Views: Expanding the Horizon”, “Portraits”, “Esteban Vicente: In the Company of Friends”, “Poets and Painters”, “Dennis Oppenheim: Splash Buildings”, and “House and Studio: The Spaces Between”.
The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.parrishart.org.
WATER MILL MUSEUM
“HELEN GIAQUINTO: WORKS ON PAPER & CANVAS” continues through Oct. 6. The exhibition of landscapes includes watercolors, oils and prints inspired by various locations on the East End and abroad.
The Museum closes for the season on Oct. 13 at 5 p.m. The Water Mill Museum Annual Meeting takes place at 9 a.m. on Oct. 16.
The museum is located at 41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill, NY 11976. www.watermillmuseum.org.
NORTH FORK & RIVERHEAD
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY - RIVERHEAD, NY
"EDGAR ALLAN POE" opens Oct. 10 and remains on view through Nov. 8. An Opening Reception will be held on Oct. 10 at 6 p.m.
“FROM MANOR TO MUSEUM: TREASURES OF SAGTIKOS MANOR EXHIBIT” is extended through Nov. 8. Historic items such as furniture, costumes, decorative arts, documents, photographs, the wrought-iron entrance gates and more from the Sagtikos Manor are on view. Curated by Dean Failey.
PERMANENT EXHBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th – 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.
The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901. www.suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.
SOUTHOLD HISTORICAL SOCIETY - SOUTHOLD, NY
ORIGINAL HISTORIC SIGNS continues through Oct. 12. The show presents signs made on Long Island between 1830 and 1930. Exhibited in the Ann Currie-Bell House’s Mayne Memorial Gallery located at 55200 Main Road, Southold, NY.
"NO PEEKING: A HISTORY OF PROSTITUTION ON THE NORTH FORK" opens Oct. 18 and remains on view through Dec. 13. The exhibition documents a portion of the history of prostitution in Southold Town.
The Reichert Family Center and Cosden Price Gallery is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY. www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.
HECKSCHER MUSEUM OF ART – HUNTINGTON, NY
‘LONG ISLAND BIENNIAL” continues through November 30. The juried open-call exhibition presents selected works from artists living in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Exhibiting artists include Ennid Berger, Catherine Bezas, Joe Constantino, Riccarda de Eccher, Alex Ferrone, Laura Powers-Swiggett, Michael Ruggiero, Neil Scholl, Victoria Selbach, Dick Shanley, and Neill Slaughter, among others.
RELATED: “Long Island Biennial” Presents Slice of LI Art” by Pat Rogers.
‘RICHARD GACHOT’S AMERICA” continues through Nov. 23. Gachot’s mixed media sculptures made from found materials demonstrate wry and wit while frequently making social commentary. The exhibition is co-curated by Lisa Chalif, Curator of The Heckscher Museum of Art, and Franklin Hill Perrell, Heckscher Museum Trustee and former Chief Curator of the Nassau County Museum of Art.
The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743. For details and programming, visit www.heckscher.org.
ISLIP ART MUSEUM – EAST ISLIP, NY
"IT'S GETTING HAIRY" opens Oct. 1 and remains on view through Nov. 1. An After-Hours event takes place on Nov. 1 from 7 to 10 p.m. The exhibition features artist using hair as a medium and/or concept to create their work.
"FAUX SHO'" opens Oct. 5 and remains on view through Dec. 28. An Opening Reception will be held on Nov. 9 from 1 to 4 p.m. The exhibition features contemporary artists exploring artistic methods and materials to produce illusionistic works.
The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730. www.islipartmuseum.org.
LONG ISLAND MUSEUM – STONY BROOK, NY
“[email protected]: TREASURES FROM THE COLLECTION” continues through Oct. 20. The exhibition will include 75 art and historical artifacts from the museum’s collection in honor of its 75th anniversary. The items view fall into four categories: “Fabulous Views” (works evoking Long Island’s landscape), “Nice Threads” (textiles and clothing), “Kid Stuff” (childhood items), and “On the Road” (objects documenting the history of transportation).
The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit www.longislandmuseum.org.
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY MUSEUM – HEMPSTEAD, NY
“PAST TRADITIONS/NEW VOICES IN ASIAN ART” continues through Dec. 10 at the Emily Lowe Gallery.
Curated by Karen T. Albert, the Museum’s associate director of exhibitions and collections, the exhibition presents contemporary Asian artists who mix or juxtapose traditional Asian subject matter and techniques with modern Western Influences. Nations of influence include China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam. Exhibiting artists include Xu Bing, Fx Harsono, Yun-Fei Ji, Bari Kumar, Dinh Q. Lê, Nyoman Masriadi, Shazia Sikander and Ai Weiwei.
“EXPLORING THE CENTURIES: 3rd – 20th CENTURY ASIAN ART” continues through Feb. 8, 2015.
Co-curated by Ms. Albert and Kristy Caratzola, the exhibition into three categories: Buddhism; Devotional Sculpture; and Flowers, Animals and the Seasons. Works include woodblock prints, hand-painted scrolls, metal works and sculpture that highlight esteemed and centuries-old artistic practices and traditions from the cultures of Japan, China, India, Tibet and Thailand.
The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549. The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South Campus. www.hofstra.edu.
NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART – ROSLYN HARBOR, NY
‘STILL LIFE: 1970s PHOTOREALISM: WORKS FROM THE YALE UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY” continues through Nov. 9. Organized at Yale University Art Gallery by Cathleen Chaffee (now curator at Albright Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo). The show includes works by Audrey Flack, Ralph Goings, Malcolm Morley, Duane Hanson, Ben Schonzeit and Idelle Weber.
“FRIEDRICH KUNATH” continues through Nov. 9 in the Contemporary Collectors Gallery. Presents works by the German-born artist who makes use of variety of mediums including painting, sculpture, and video.
“TIFFANY’S ORIENT” draws from the museum’s permanent collection of paintings to reflect Louis Tiffany’s fascination with the Orient that were made to memorialize his travels to North Africa and the East. Also includes examples of his decorative arts inspired by his travels.
The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576. www.nassaumuseum.org.
BASIC FACTS: Museum Look is published monthly at HamptonsArtHub.com.