Museums are hopping on Long Island. Don't let the end of summer fool you...the East End art scene is in full swing with museum exhibitions an integral part of the art experience. Highlights include a solo show by Robert Motherwell (at Guild Hall), a sprawling exhibition by William J. Glackens (at the Parrish) and a group exhibition presenting Photorealism in the seventies (at Nassau County Museum of Art). Following is the full list of museum exhibitions across Long Island.




“A FRIENDSHIP: CARL ANDRE'S WORKS ON PAPER FROM THE LEWITT COLLECTION" continues through March 2, 2015. The exhibition is presented in two consecutive exhibitions. The first section, on view through Oct. 18, presents Andre’s correspondences with LeWitt and rare works on paper. The second section will be on view from Oct. 24, 2014 through March 2, 2015, and will focus on Andre’s poetry.

ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.

Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit


“CLAUS HOIE’S GREENGROCER SERIES: BOUNTIFUL HARVEST” continues through Oct. 16. Works on view include watercolors with fruit and vegetable themes. The Bridgehampton Museum is located at 2368 Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY. The Archives building is located at 2539-A Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY.


Artwork by Claus Hoie. Photo by Gary J. Mamay.




"JUNE 13, 1942: SABOTEURS LAND IN AMAGANSETT" continues through Oct. 13 at The Clinton Academy.  Special Curator's Tours will be held on Sept. 21 and Oct. 11 at 10 a.m. The exhibition presents photographs, documents, uniforms and artifacts of a foiled attempted by four German saboteurs to launch a two-year plan to disrupt the production of supplied intended for the Allies in Europe by  blowing up plants, canals, bridges, waterways and locks across the United States. ( A second team was dispatched to the coast of Florida). The Amagansett-based plot was foiled by a U.S. Coast Guard Seaman John Cullen, who encountered the men.

The Clinton Academy is located at 151 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. Free but donations appreciated.


A photograph of explosive devices recovered from the dunes of Amagansett, buried by the saboteurs. Courtesy East Hampton Historical Society.

A photograph of explosive devices recovered from the dunes of Amagansett, buried by the saboteurs. Courtesy East Hampton Historical Society.



"ROBERT MOTHERWELL: THE EAST HAMPTON YEARS, 1944-1952" continues through Oct. 13 in all three of the museum's main galleries. The exhibition presents lesser-known works that were made in Motherwell's early career and while he lived in East Hampton, NY. Works include oil paintings, mixed media and works on paper.
"At Five in the Afternoon" by Robert Motherwell, 1948 - 1949. Casein and graphite on paperboard, 15 x 20 inches. Helen Frankenthaler Foundation. ©VAGA, NY

"At Five in the Afternoon" by Robert Motherwell, 1948 - 1949. Casein and graphite on paperboard, 15 x 20 inches. Helen Frankenthaler Foundation. ©VAGA, NY

"ARLENE SLAVIN: INTERSECTIONS" continues through Oct. 13 at Guild Hall's Roy and Frieda Furman Sculpture Garden and Wasserstein Family Gallery. Slavin's translucent garden sculptures are installed outside with her Intersections painting series exhibited inside the museum.

Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937.


"POLLOCK'S CHAMPIONS" continues on view through Oct. 31. Curated by Bobbi Coller, PhD, the exhibition examines the roles of Pollock's three lifetime dealers: Peggy Guggenheim (1943-47), Betty Parsons (1948-51) and Sidney Janis (1952-56), in the establishment of his reputation and the promotion and marketing of his work. Primarily documentary in nature, the exhibition presents photographs, correspondence, contracts, price lists, reproductions of sold key paintings plus original works on paper and graphics by Pollock. The museum is open by appointment only Thursday to Saturday.

The Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, East Hampton, NY 11937.



“SOUTHAMPTON BLUE BOOK, 1930 to 1960: PHOTOGRAPHS BY BERT MORGAN” continues through Oct. 18 at the Rogers Mansion on the main campus.

RELATED:Southampton Society (and The Blue Book) Revealed in Photographs”.

“HAIL TO THE BEACH: PAINTINGS BY DINAH MAXWELL SMITH” continues through Oct. 18. The exhibition includes contemporary impressionist paintings of Beach scenes on Long Island.

RELATED: "Dinah Maxwell Smith: An Artist Combing the Shores of Time" by Annette Hinkle.

"DECONSTRUCTING THE SAYRE BARN: PHOTOGRAPHS BY ULF SKOGSBERGH" continues through Oct. 18. Exhibited in the newly reconstructed Sayre Barn, the show presents high-detailed and oversized photographs of the barn's deconstruction that reveal the tools and construction methods from another time.

The Southampton Historical Museum & Research Center's main campus is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY.



"WILLIAM GLACKENS" continues through October 13. The show features over 75 artworks on paper or canvas spanning from the 1890s through 1930s. It is the first comprehensive survey of Glacken’s work since 1966. Curated by writer and art historian Avis Berman, the exhibition focuses on Glackens’s most distinctive and adventurous works. The show is part of a traveling exhibition that started in Florida and continues to Philadelphia.

RELATED: "Glackens Survey Arrives at the Parrish" and ART REVIEW: Adventures of an Artist-Reporter: Time to Revisit William Glackens” by Elisa Turner.


“Mahone Bay” by WIlliam J. Glackens, 1910. Oil on canvas, 26 1/8 x 31 7/8 inches. Sheldon Museum of Art, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, UNL – Anna R. and Frank M. Hall Trust, H-193.

“Mahone Bay” by WIlliam J. Glackens, 1910. Oil on canvas, 26 1/8 x 31 7/8 inches. Sheldon Museum of Art, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, UNL – Anna R. and Frank M. Hall Trust, H-193.


COLLECTION GALLERIES at The Parrish: Seven permanent collection gallery exhibitions continue through October 26. Exhibitions on view are “Look and Look Again: Contemporary Observation,” “Changing Views: Expanding the Horizon”, “Portraits”, “Esteban Vicente: In the Company of Friends”, “Poets and Painters”, “Dennis Oppenheim: Splash Buildings”, and “House and Studio: The Spaces Between”.

The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976.


“HELEN GIAQUINTO: WORKS ON PAPER & CANVAS” opens September 15 and continues through October 6. An Opening Reception will be held September 20 from 1 to 3 p.m. The exhibition of landscapes includes watercolors, oils and prints inspired by various locations on the East End and abroad.

The museum is located at 41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill, NY 11976.




"FROM MANOR TO MUSEUM: TREASURES OF SAGTIKOS MANOR EXHIBIT" is extended through November 8. Historic items such as furniture, costumes, decorative arts, documents, photographs, the wrought-iron entrance gates and more from the Sagtikos Manor are on view. Curated by Dean Failey.

"CHARIOTS & STONE: PHOTOGRAPHY BY JOHN BERHALTER" continues through October 1. The exhibition presents photographs that emphasize the beauty of antique cars and historical buildings by emphasizing their form and composition. Curated by Loretta Corbisiero.

"THE INCREDIBLE VANDERBILT CUP RACES OF LONG ISLAND" continues through October 1. From the Collection of Howard Kroplick, presents posters announcing the first international road race held in America. The brainchild of William K. Vanderbilt Jr., there were six Vanderbilt Cup Races held on Long Island. The exhibit relives auto racing’s earliest triumphs, including the development of the Long Island Motor Parkway--the first road built exclusively for the automobile. Two displays featuring rare photos and memorabilia have been assembled by Howard Kroplick.

PERMANENT EXHBITIONS: Six historical exhibitions culled from the SCHS collections. The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th - 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.

The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901.




"NORTH FORK IN COLOR" opens September 14 and continues through September 28. An Opening Reception will take place on September 19 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The exhibition features North Fork artists from the group "Cloud 9," known for their landscape and seascape works. The group includes local artists Adelaide Amend, B. L. Moyle, Dolores Castrucci, Ann McCaughey, Fran Reichert, and Laurie Ullmann.

ORIGINAL HISTORIC SIGNS continues through October 12. The show presents signs made on Long Island between 1830 and 1930. Exhibited in the Ann Currie-Bell House's Mayne Memorial Gallery located at 55200 Main Road, Southold, NY.

The Reichert Family Center and Cosden Price Gallery is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY.



 'LONG ISLAND BIENNIAL"  continues through November 30. The juried open-call exhibition presents selected works from artists living in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Exhibiting artists include Ennid Berger, Catherine Bezas, Joe Constantino, Riccarda de Eccher, Alex Ferrone, Laura Powers-Swiggett, Michael Ruggiero, Neil Scholl, Victoria Selbach, Dick Shanley, and Neill Slaughter, among others.

RELATED: "Long Island Biennial" Presents Slice of LI Art" by Pat Rogers.

'RICHARD GACHOT'S AMERICA" continues through November 23. Gachot's mixed media sculptures made from found materials demonstrate wry and wit while frequently making social commentary.  The exhibition is co-curated by Lisa Chalif, Curator of The Heckscher Museum of Art, and Franklin Hill Perrell, Heckscher Museum Trustee and former Chief Curator of the Nassau County Museum of Art.

The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743. For details and programming, visit


"ANNUAL OPEN CALL 2014: MASH UP: COLLAGES IN MIXED MEDIA" continues through September 14. Artists are encouraged to submit both conventional and unconventional mixed media collages for the exhibition. The galleries are closed for installation until October 5.

The Islip Art Museum is located at 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, NY 11730.


"75@75: TREASURES FROM THE COLLECTION" continues through October 20. The exhibition will include 75 art and historical artifacts from the museum's collection in honor of its 75th anniversary. The items view fall into four categories: "Fabulous Views" (works evoking Long Island's landscape), "Nice Threads" (textiles and clothing), "Kid Stuff" (childhood items), and "On the Road" (objects documenting the history of transportation).

The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790. For details and programming, visit



"PAST TRADITIONS/NEW VOICES IN ASIAN ART" opens September 2 at the Emily Lowe Gallery and continues through December 10.

Curated by Karen T. Albert, the Museum’s associate director of exhibitions and collections, the exhibition presents contemporary Asian artists who mix or juxtapose traditional Asian subject matter and techniques with modern Western Influences. Nations of influence include China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam. Exhibiting artists include Xu Bing, Fx Harsono, Yun-Fei Ji, Bari Kumar, Dinh Q. Lê, Nyoman Masriadi, Shazia Sikander and Ai Weiwei.

"EXPLORING THE CENTURIES: 3rd - 20th CENTURY ASIAN ART" opens September 16 at the David Filderman Gallery and continues through February 8, 2015.

Co-curated by Ms. Albert and Kristy Caratzola, the exhibition into three categories: Buddhism; Devotional Sculpture; and Flowers, Animals and the Seasons. Works include woodblock prints, hand-painted scrolls, metal works and sculpture that highlight esteemed and centuries-old artistic practices and traditions from the cultures of Japan, China, India, Tibet and Thailand.

The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549. The Emily Lowe Gallery is located at Emily Lowe Hall on the South Campus. The David Filderman Gallery is located on the ninth floor of the Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library on the South Campus.


'STILL LIFE: 1970s PHOTOREALISM: WORKS FROM THE YALE UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY" continues through  November 9. Organized at Yale University Art Gallery by Cathleen Chaffee (now curator at Albright Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo). The show includes works by Audrey  Flack, Ralph Goings, Malcolm Morley, Duane Hanson, Ben Schonzeit and Idelle Weber.

"FRIEDRICH KUNATH" continues through November 9 in the Contemporary Collectors Gallery. Presents works by the German-born artist who makes use of variety of mediums including painting, sculpture, and video.

"TIFFANY'S ORIENT" draws from the museum's permanent collection of paintings to reflect Louis Tiffany's fascination with the Orient that were made to memorialize his travels to North Africa and the East. Also includes examples of his decorative arts inspired by his travels.

The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576.


BASIC FACTSMuseum Look is published monthly at


Don't miss a story!

We are on Social Networks

Comments are closed.

error: Content is protected !!