Major exhibitions are opening in Long Island museums in October. Among the new exhibitions are a solo show by Peter Max at the Nassau County Museum of Art, a group show that crosses the time divide with contemporary art reacting to historical objects, and three major shows opening at Guild Hall Museum in East Hampton. Following is the full list of what's on view in Long Island's museums.
DAN FLAVIN ART INSTITUTE – BRIDGEHAMPTON
“JOHN CHAMBERLAIN: IT AIN’T CHEAP” has been extended through April 27, 2014. The exhibition presents six of the artist’s rarely exhibited metal paintings from 1965 and the 1965 sculpture “It Ain’t Cheap.” The works are from a series of 12-inch-square paintings that were presented at Leo Castelli Gallery in January 1965 in the solo exhibition “Paintings done in auto lacquer and metal flake on formica.”
RELATED: “‘No Slouch!’: The Spray Lacquer Metal Flake Paintings of John Chamberlain” by Mike Solomon.
ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.
Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.
GUILD HALL MUSEUM – EAST HAMPTON, NY
“SHORT STORIES AND OTHER EMBRODERIES” opens Oct. 26, 2013 and continues through Jan. 5, 2014 at The Museum at Guild Hall in East Hampton, NY. An Opening Reception will be held on Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.
The installation is an exhibition of work by Christa Maiwald, an East Hampton-based artist who has lived and worked here for the last 28 years. She has explored various media, including films, video, photography, painting, installation and performance. In this installation, the artist used fiber in the form of embroidered imagery to tell narratives, making various social statements in a unique and often tongue-and-cheek way. There will be a “Gallery Talk” with artist Christa Maiwald on Nov. 17 from 2 to 3 p.m.
“TRACING MORAN’S ROMANTICISM & SYMBOLISM” opens Oct. 26, 2013 and continues through Jan. 5, 2014 at The Museum at Guild Hall in East Hampton, NY. An Opening Reception will be held on Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.
The installation features the work of Thomas Moran from 1859 to 1917 with a focus on insight into the artist’s use of romanticism and symbolism throughout his long career as a landscape painter. Many of Moran’s works were painted in a studio on East Hampton’s Main Street. There will be a “Gallery Talk” with Phyllis Braff on Nov. 3 at 2 p.m.
“LANDSCAPE SELECTIONS FROM THE PERMANENT COLLECTION” opens Oct. 26, 2013 and continues through Jan. 5. An Opening Reception will be held on Oct. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.
This installation features 27 works of art by 20th century artists from Guild Hall Museum’s Permanent Collection. Each artist has chosen a different perspective on the landscape, ranging from rural to urban, abstract to literal representations..
“CHUCK CLOSE: RECENT WORKS” continues through Oct. 14. The exhibition presents recent paintings, prints and tapestries. Previously at Guild Hall, Close had a one person exhibition of his large-scale Polaroid photographs in 1991. He has been a part-time resident of the East End for over 40 years.
RELATED: "Art Review: Sumptuous Portraits by Chuck Close" by Mike Solomon.
“ART SEEN: Chuck Close Opens at Guild Hall Summer Gala” by Pat Rogers.
“JOEL PERLMAN” remains on view through Oct. 14. Perlman is exhibiting welded steel, bronze, aluminum, and iron sculptures. The solo show will present works outdoors in the Frieda and Roy Furman Sculpture Garden and inside Guild Hall at the Wasserstein Family Gallery.
Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937.
For details and programming, visit www.guildhall.org.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
“ANGELS, DEMONS, AND SAVAGES: POLLOCK, OSSORIO, DUBUFFET” continues through Oct. 27. The exhibition explores the cross-cultural artistic dialogue between Jackson Pollock, Alfonso Ossorio and Jean Dubuffet. It is the first to explore the relationship between the American Abstract Expressionism painter, the Philippines-born artist and art patron, and the French painter and sculptor.
"Art Review: Angels, Demons and Savages: Pollock, Ossorio and Dubuffet" by Gabrielle Selz.
“MICHELLE STUART: DRAWN FROM NATURE” continues through Oct. 27. The solo show includes 50 works ranging from 1968 to the present that encompass a range of mediums and highlight her early contributions to process-based sculpture and Land Art along with her use of nontraditional natural materials and her passion for photography.
RELATED: "Art Review: Going Beyond Time and Place in "Drawn by Nature": Michelle Stuart" by Esperanza Leon.
“PLATFORM: JOSEPHINE MECKSEPER” continues through Oct. 14. The exhibit includes indoor and outdoor sculpture installations in response to the museum’s architecture and collection.
RELATED: “Josephine Meckseper’s Parrish Platform Installation Opens at The Parrish Art Museum” by Pat Rogers.
“SELECTIONS FROM THE PERMANENT COLLECTION” are on long-term view. Exhibitions include “Look and Look Again: Contemporary Observation,” “American Views: Artists at Home and Abroad,” “William Merritt Chase: A Life in Art,” “Fairfield Porter: Modern American Master,” “Esteban Vicente: Portrait of the Artist” and “Collective Conversations: Abstract Expressionism, Figuration, and Pop.”
The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. For details and programming, visit.www.parrishart.org.
POLLOCK-KRASNER HOUSE AND STUDY CENTER – SPRINGS, NY
“CHARLOTTE PARK: THE 1950s” continues through Oct. 31 at the Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center in Springs, NY. The exhibition features paintings and works on paper. In the mid-1950s, Park began to create vivid canvases consisting of complex and charged relationships among forms which often evoked the natural world. For details and programming, visit sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse.
The Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, Springs, NY 11937. The museum closes in October for the season.
RELATED: "Art Review: Gutsy Paintings by Charlotte Park" by Mike Solomon.
SOUTHAMPTON HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER – SOUTHAMPTON, NY
“FABULOUS FISH” – A solo show by John Rist, Jr. –continues through Nov. 2 at the Southampton Historical Museum and Research Center.
RELATED: “Fabulous Fish by John Rist Jr.” by Julia Boudreau.
The Southampton Historical Museum is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. For details and programming, visit.www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org .
WATER MILL MUSEUM
VINTAGE PENNY POSTCARDS remains on view through Oct. 14 at the Water Mill Museum.
The exhibition features dozens of postcards from 1907 to 1955 featuring views of Water Mill and its environs. The exhibition also includes a stereoscopic viewer and scenic view cards of national sites.
The Water Mill Museum is located at 41 Old Mill Road, Water Mill, NY 11976. For details and programming, visit www.watermillmuseum.org. The museum closes for the season in October.
EASTERN LONG ISLAND
SOUTHOLD HISTORICAL SOCIETY
“WICKHAM MURDERS EXHIBIT” continues through Oct. 12 at the Mayne Gallery of the Ann Currie-Bell House in Southold, NY. The exhibit features items from the trial and murder of James Wickham, a landowner who in 1854 was gruesomely murdered by Nicholas Behan, a worker on his estate.
Mayne Gallery of the Ann Currie-Bell House is located at 55200 Main Road in Southold, NY 11971.
For details and programming, visit www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY – RIVERHEAD, NY
“BACK TO THE FUTURE: CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS CONSIDER THE PERMANENT COLLECTION” opens Oct. 18, 2013 and continues through Nov. 23. An opening reception will be held on Oct. 18 from 6 to 8 p.m.
The installation features newly created paintings, sculptures and photographs near historical objects, and includes the works of Cara Barer, Rob Carter, Judith Condon, Elizabeth Duffy, Katherine Frey, Susan Hoeltzel, Keith Long, Judy Richardson, Donna Sharrett, Karen Shaw and Andy Warhol.
The show is curated by Mary Lou Cohalan, director of CarriageHouse Arts in East Islip and is co-presented by CarriageHouse Arts and the Suffolk County Historical Society.
The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901. For details and programming, visit www.schs-museum.org.
RELATED: "Cutting Edge Art Interprets the Past in an Unusual Exhibition" by Pat Rogers.
HECKSCHER MUSEUM OF ART – HUNTINGTON, NY
“STAN BRODSKY: RETROSPECTIVE” continues through Dec. 1. The retrospective spans 50 years and traces Brodsky’s evolution from early representational works focusing on architectonic city structures, through the minimalist landscapes executed during the artist’s early years on Long Island, to the Abstract Expressionist works that manifest Brodsky’s deepest engagement with the painting process.
“Stan Brodsky: The Man and His Work”, a documentary, will be screened on Oct. 25 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
“RECENT ACQUISITIONS” continues through Nov. 24. The exhibition presents over 24 works acquired by the Museum since 2010, representing a broad range of style and subject matter. Included are works by Thomas Moran, Max Weber, Bruce Lieberman, Theodore Stamos, Nicolas Carone, Stanley Twardowicz, Neil Scholl and Emlio Sánchez.
“PICTURE PERFECT: SELECTIONS FROM THE PERMANENT COLLECTION” continues through April 27, 2014. The exhibition presents art appealing to a wide range of aesthetic sensibilities. The exhibition is presented in conjunction with the Public Art Initiative Teen Poetry Project, Poetry for the HART, sponsored by the Town of Huntington. For details and programming, visit www.heckscher.org.
The Heckscher Museum of Art is located at 2 Prime Avenue, Huntington, NY 11743.
LONG ISLAND MUSEUM – STONY BROOK, NY
“CONEY ISLAND: PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE” is a panel discussion that will be presented on Oct. 20 at 2 p.m. at the Long Island Museum in Stony Brook, NY. Presenters will discuss the rise, decline and resurrection of Coney Island in the wake of Super Storm Sandy. They will include Joshua Ruff, the museum’s Director of Collections and Interpretation; Lynn Kelly, past President of Coney Island Development Corporation; and Nate Bliss, Interim Executive Director with the Alliance for Coney Island. A question and answer period will follow the discussion.
“CONEY ISLAND AND JONES BEACH: EMPIRES BY THE SEA” continues through Dec. 29. The exhibition explores these two Long Island landmarks through an array of object, rare photographs, paintings, prints and archival film clips. For details and programming, visit www.longislandmuseum.org.
The Long Island Museum is located at 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook, NY 11790.
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY MUSEUM – HEMPSTEAD, NY
“LAND OF THE RISING SUN: ART OF JAPAN” continues through Feb. 2, 2014 at the Hofstra University Museum’s David Filderman Gallery. On Dec. 14 at 1:30 p.m., “Roll It Up!”, part of the “Second Saturday” series, will give children the opportunity to learn more about the art of Japanese scrolls and create their own works.
The installation features woodblock prints, hand-painted scrolls and wood carvings with a focus on the rich artistic traditions from the historic eras of Japanese cultures spanning more than 400 years.
"ARNOLD NEWMAN: LUMINARIES OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY IN ART, POLITICS AND CULTURE” continues through Dec. 13 at the Hofstra University Museum’s Emily Lowe Gallery. The exhibition of photographic portraiture by Arnold Newman highlighting the innovative minds and personalities that gave rise to the ideas and concepts that shaped the 20th century. For details and programming, visit www.hofstra.edu/museum.
The Hofstra University Museum is located at 112 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.
NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART – ROSLYN HARBOR, NY
“PETER MAX” opens on Oct. 25 at the Nassau County Museum of Art and continues through Feb. 23, 2014. The artist, Peter Max, will be interviewed by author and art historian Charles A. Riley II, Ph.D. on Dec. 8, and will lead the Peter Max Family Program, an art-making venture, on Feb. 2.
The installation features a solo exhibition of works by Pop artist Peter Max that juxtaposes portfolios of his most black-and-white drawings on paper against many of his larger and more color-saturated works in a variety of media.
“AFTERMODERNISM: WORKS ON PAPER” opens on Oct. 25, 2013 at the Nassau County Museum of Art and continues through Feb. 23, 2014.
The installation is part of a series that began in June 2013 with the exhibit Aftermodernism 2013. The works continue a contemporary exploration off the drawing skills and innovations of artists whose work was seen in the summer exhibition. Some of the drawings are precursors to larger works.
“ALEX KATZ: SELECTIONS FROM THE WHITNEY MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART continues through Oct. 13. The exhibition includes portraits of the artist’s family and friends as well as early landscapes and collages from the Whitney Museum of American Art. The installation will close for the show change from Oct. 14 through 25.
RELATED: “Alex Katz: Landscapes, Collages & Portraits Opens at the Nassau County Museum of Art” by Pat Rogers.
“AftermodernisM 2013 A.M.” continues through Oct. 13. The exhibition presents works by five contemporary artists in focused installations. Exhibiting are Nina Chanel Abney, Justin Craun, Wendell Gladstone, Erik Parks and Tom Sanford.
The Nassau County Museum of Art is located at One Museum Drive (just off Northern Blvd, Route 25A), Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576. For details and programming, visit.nassaumuseum.org.
BASIC FACTS: Museum Look is published monthly at HamptonsArtHub.com.