Abstraction, portraits and a historic Southampton lifestyle makes its way into East End museums in March. Following is the list of exhibitions exhibited at museums on the East End.
DAN FLAVIN ART INSTITUTE – BRIDGEHAMPTON
“JOHN CHAMBERLAIN: IT AIN’T CHEAP” is extended through April 27. The exhibition presents six of the artist’s rarely exhibited metal paintings from 1965 and the 1965 sculpture “It Ain’t Cheap.” The works are from a series of 12-inch-square paintings that were presented at Leo Castelli Gallery in January 1965 in the solo exhibition “Paintings done in auto lacquer and metal flake on formica.”
RELATED: “‘No Slouch!’: The Spray Lacquer Metal Flake Paintings of John Chamberlain” by Mike Solomon.
ON PERMANENT VIEW is an installation by Dan Flavin (1933-1996) of nine works in fluorescent light made between 1963 and 1981. The exhibition follows Flavin’s art practice from when he began to work solely with standard fluorescent fixtures and tubes to just before the presentation of his new art form was realized.
Dan Flavin Art Institute is located on Corwith Avenue, about 1/2 block from Main Street, Bridgehampton, NY 11932. The museum is open weekends from noon to 6 p.m. For details and programming, visit www.diaart.org.
GUILD HALL MUSEUM – EAST HAMPTON, NY
“STUDENT ART FESTIVAL PART II, GRADES 9 – 12" opens March 8 and continues through April 20. An Opening Reception takes place on March 8 from 2 to 4 p.m. Exhibiting students are part of school districts in Amagansett, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Montauk, Oysterponds, Shelter Island and Wainscott.
Guild Hall is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. For details and programming, visitwww.guildhall.org.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM – WATER MILL, NY
"ABSTRACTLY SPEAKING: Works on Paper from the Parrish Permanent Collection" opens on March 8 and continues through April 14. Works by Ilya Bolotowsky, Mary Heilmann, Jack Youngerman, Gertrude Greene, Alan Shields, Stephen Antonakos, Valerie Jaudon, Jimmy Ernst and others are exhibited.
"ABSTRACTLY SPEAKING: Painting and Sculpture from the Parrish Permanent Collection" opens on March 8 and continues through April 14. Works by Ilya Bolotowsky, Dan Christensen, Eric Freeman, Mary Heilmann, Perle Fine, Louisa Chase, Lynda Benglis, John Torreano, Ross Bleckner, Richmond Burton and others are exhibited.
"FACE TIME: PORTRAITS FROM THE COLLECTION" continues through April 14. Works by Tina Barney, Adam Bartos, Dawoud Bey, Elizabeth Peyton and others are exhibited.
Photographs by Dawoud Bey were selected for the 2014 Whitney Biennial, which is currently on view through May 25.
PERMANENT COLLECTION GALLERIES: Seven permanent collection gallery exhibitions continue through Oct. 26. Exhibitions on view are “Look and Look Again: Contemporary Observation,” “Changing Views: Expanding the Horizon”, “Portraits”, “Esteban Vicente: In the Company of Friends”, “Poets and Painters”, “Dennis Oppenheim: Splash Buildings”, and “House and Studio: The Spaces Between”.
The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. For details and programming, visit.www.parrishart.org.
SOUTHAMPTON HISTORICAL MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER – SOUTHAMPTON, NY
“DOWNTON ABBEY STYLE IN SOUTHAMPTON, 1900 to 1920” continues through April 26. The show features the fashions, activities and lifestyle of the Southampton community between 1900 and 1920 that mirror the television historical drama “Downton Abbey”. Highlighted are the “upstairs and downstairs” aspect of the drama through photographs, costumes and furnishings that reveal the lifestyles of the merchant and servant classes.
The Rogers Mansion is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org.
EASTERN LONG ISLAND
SOUTHOLD HISTORICAL SOCIETY – SOUTHOLD, NY
Art exhibitions will resume in April with the Spring Photography exhibition “Life on Plum Island – The Fort Terry Years”.
The Reichert Family Center is located at 54127 Main Road, Southold, NY. For details and programming, visit www.southoldhistoricalsociety.org.
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY – RIVERHEAD, NY
The museum presents six permanent historical exhibitions culled from its collections.
The Syliva Downs Staas Gallery presents paintings and furniture from the 18th thru 20th centuries. Permanent exhibitions include “So Ends This Long Journey”, “Early Suffolk Farm Life and The Rise of Crafts”, “Early Suffolk Transport”, “From Near and Far: Ceramics in Suffolk County Households, 1750-1870” and “Arms & Armament”.
The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901. For details and programming, visit www.suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.
For the full listing of museum exhibitions on Long Island, visit "Museum Look: March on Long Island"