DISPATCH – OCT 27, 2013

HAMPTONS, NY-

The final hurrah is upon several sprawling shows at Hamptons museums. Closing this weekend are exhibitions throughout the Parrish Art Museum (including those in the permanent collection galleries). Closing on Thursday is “Charlotte Parks: The 1950s” at the Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center. Closing next Saturday (Nov. 2) is a solo show by John Rist, Jr. at the Southampton Historical Society.

The biggest change takes place at the Parrish. The museum is revamping all of the shows currently on display in anticipation of its one-year anniversary celebration taking place on Nov. 9. Today is the final day of its current art incarnation.

Here’s what’s closing at the Parrish Art Museum:

“ANGELS, DEMONS, AND SAVAGES: POLLOCK, OSSORIO, DUBUFFET”. The exhibition explores the cross-cultural artistic dialogue between Jackson Pollock, Alfonso Ossorio and Jean Dubuffet. It is the first to explore the relationship between the American Abstract Expressionism painter, the Philippines-born artist and art patron, and the French painter and sculptor.

RELATED:Angels, Demons, and Savages: Pollock, Ossorio, Dubuffet” Explores the Cross-Cultural Dialogue.

Art Review: Angels, Demons and Savages: Pollock, Ossorio and Dubuffet” by Gabrielle Selz.

 

“Untitled” by Jackson Pollock, 1951. Ink on Japanese paper, 17-1/2 x 22 inches. Parrish Art Museum, Water Mill, N.Y.Gift of Edward F. Dragon in Memory of Alfonso Ossorio, 1993.3. 2013 © The Pollock-Krasner Foundation / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York. Courtesy Parrish Art Museum.

“Untitled” by Jackson Pollock, 1951. Ink on Japanese paper, 17-1/2 x 22 inches. Parrish Art Museum, Water Mill, N.Y.Gift of Edward F. Dragon in Memory of Alfonso Ossorio, 1993.3. 2013 © The Pollock-Krasner Foundation / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York. Courtesy Parrish Art Museum.

 

“MICHELLE STUART: DRAWN FROM NATURE”. The solo show includes 50 works ranging from 1968 to the present that encompass a range of mediums and highlight her early contributions to process-based sculpture and Land Art along with her use of nontraditional natural materials and her passion for photography.

RELATED:Art Review: Going Beyond Time and Place in “Drawn by Nature”: Michelle Stuart” by Esperanza Leon.

 

“Sequence Development” by Michelle Stuart, 1969-70. Courtesy Parrish Art Museum.

“Sequence Development” by Michelle Stuart, 1969-70. Courtesy Parrish Art Museum.

 

Galleries that are part of the Parrish’s “Selections from the Permanent Collection” will be revamped after today. Exhibitions closing include “Look and Look Again: Contemporary Observation,” “American Views: Artists at Home and Abroad,” “William Merritt Chase: A Life in Art,” “Fairfield Porter: Modern American Master,”  “Esteban Vicente: Portrait of the Artist” and “Collective Conversations: Abstract Expressionism, Figuration, and Pop.”

Opening next week in their place include “Contemporary Observation”, “Changing Views: Expanding the Horizon”, “Portraits”, “Poets and Painters”, “Dennis Oppenheim: Splash Buildings”, “House and Studio: The Spaces Between”, and “Esteban Vicente: In the Company of Friends”.

The Parrish Art Museum is located at 279 Montauk Highway, Water Mill, NY 11976. For details and programming, visit.www.parrishart.org.

At the Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center, the museum is poised to close for the season. The final exhibition “Charlotte Park: 1950s” has its final day on Thursday, Oct. 31. The exhibition features paintings and works on paper. In the mid-1950s, Park began to create vivid canvases consisting of complex and charged relationships among forms which often evoked the natural world. For details and programming, visit sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse.

The Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center is located at 830 Springs-Fireplace Road, Springs, NY 11937. They are open by appointment only on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Admission in October is by guided tour only. They are offered hourly from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., depending on tour enrollment. Admission is $10 for adults and $10 for children. Call 631-324-4929 for reservations.

RELATED:Art Review: Gutsy Paintings by Charlotte Park” by Mike Solomon.

 

“Untitled, Black and Gray” by Charlotte Park, 1950s. Gouache on paper, 8 3/4 x 14 inches. Estate of the artist, courtesy Spanierman Modern, NY.

“Untitled, Black and Gray” by Charlotte Park, 1950s. Gouache on paper, 8 3/4 x 14 inches. Estate of the artist, courtesy Spanierman Modern, NY.

 

“FABULOUS FISH” – A solo show by John Rist, Jr. remains open through Saturday (Nov. 2). at the Southampton Historical Museum and Research Center. Rist is a native Southampton resident whose painted sculptural fish have become a local favorite. His art can often be spied in the window ofHerbert & Rist Wine and Liquor Store on Jobs Lane. Rist uses plywood, old beach fencing, acrylic paint, and assorted items of hardware to make his rough-hewn polychrome sculptures of vivid marine life.

RELATED:Fabulous Fish by John Rist Jr” by Julia Boudreau.

The Southampton Historical Museum is located at 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968. www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org .

 

“Flounder” acrylic on wood sculpture by John Rist, Jr.

 

The Parrish isn’t the only museum on the East End to select the fall to present major exhibitions. Guild Hall and the Suffolk County Historical Society are also doing their part to keep the art scene vibrant.

Guild Hall opened three major exhibitions yesterday (Oct. 26) that remain on view through Jan. 5, 2014. Now on view are “Tracing Moran’s Romanticism & Symbolism”, “Landscape Selections from the Permanent Collection” and “Short Stories and Other Embroideries by Christa Maiwald”.

Tracing Moran’s Romanticism & Symbolism features the work of Thomas Moran from 1859 to 1917 with a focus on insight into the artist’s use of romanticism and symbolism throughout his long career as a landscape painter.  Many of Moran’s works were painted in a studio on East Hampton’s Main Street.  There will be a “Gallery Talk” with Phyllis Braff on Nov. 3 at 2 p.m.

RELATED:Sneak Peek: Tracing Moran’s Romanticsm & Symbolism

“Landscape Selections from the Permanent Collection” features 27 works of art by 20th century artists from Guild Hall Museum’s Permanent Collection. Each artist has chosen a different perspective on the landscape, ranging from rural to urban, abstract to literal representations. Painters range from the historic to those working now in the Hamptons. Contemporary artists interpreting the landscape from the collection include Susan Vescey, Jeff Muhs and Daniel Pollera.

“Short Stories and Other Embroideries by Christa Maiwald” presents mixed media works that make use of fiber in the form of embroidered imagery to tell narratives, making various social statements in a unique and often tongue-and-cheek way.  There will be a “Gallery Talk” with artist Christa Maiwald on Nov. 17 from 2 to 3 p.m.

RELATED: “Sneak Peek: Short Stories and Other Embroideries by Christa Maiwald.”

Guild Hall Museum is located at 158 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. www.guildhall.org.

The Suffolk County Historical Society opened “Back to the Future: Contemporary Artists Consider the Permanent Collection” on Oct. 18. The show continues through Nov. 23. Curated by Mary Lou Cohalan, director of CarriageHouse Arts in East Islip, the show is a collaboration between CarriageHouse Arts, a non-profit organization that supports the development of experimental cutting edge contemporary art, and the Suffolk County Historical Society.

The installation features newly created paintings, sculptures and photographs near historical objects, and includes the works of Cara Barer, Rob Carter, Judith Condon, Elizabeth Duffy, Katherine Frey, Susan Hoeltzel, Keith Long, Judy Richardson, Donna Sharrett, Karen Shaw and Andy Warhol.

The Suffolk County Historical Society is located at 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY  11901. www.schs-museum.org.

RELATED:Cutting Edge Art Interprets the Past in an Unusual Exhibition” by Pat Rogers.

Worth noting is LongHouse Reserve is staying open through Dec. 21. The outdoor sculpture park set in manicured gardens has its permanent collection on view. LongHouse is open on Saturdays from noon to 3 p.m. until closing. They will also be open on Friday, Nov. 29, from noon to 3 p.m. There are also open by appointment by calling 631-329-3568.

LongHouse Reserve is located at 133 Hands Creek Rd., East Hampton, NY 11937. www.longhouse.org.

"Reclining Figure" by Willem de Kooning, 1969 - 1982, edition AP 1/2, bronze. Collection of the Willem de Kooning Foundation.

“Reclining Figure” by Willem de Kooning, 1969 – 1982, edition AP 1/2, bronze. Collection of the Willem de Kooning Foundation.

 

 

Leave a comment